Friday, July 24, 2009

Immer kochen

This was what my Latvian neighbour (ethnically Russian), Alesja told me when she entered the kitchen last week. It means 'always cooking' in german. Whenever I am not studying or doing whatever I need to do in my room, the best place to look for me would be the kitchen. Well, its not like there are really a lot of other places I can go, though the Englischer Garten is just 50m away but weather these days are too unpredictable. Anyway I still need to eat and Munich is not like Singapore where you can just go out and da-bao something. There is a restaurant in Studentenstadt but its fairly expensive. So here are some of the more special dishes I have made in Munich. I apologise for the lacklustre photos as my room is rather dim and I did not bother about the aesthetics part, plus I am normally have baerenhunger (hunger of a bear, worst german phrase becos no one uses them here) after spending so much time cooking these stuff.

Lamb curry

My dad told me to bring some curry powder so I could make some curry whenever I want. I am glad I did because my first attempt was great, partly because I used pre-mixed curry powder. The Nepalese in the house made their own curry from scratch, tumeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, etc. Hats off to them.

Sweet Pork

What is sweet pork you say? Everyone knows sweet and sour pork so when you take the sour element away, you get Sweet Pork! I did this according to a recipe from wokkingmum and since I had all the ingredients needed for this sweet pork, I decided to give this a try. It turned out really good. I did a sweet and sour pork subsequently using my neighbour's ketchup and it was gone in a jiffy.


It was not my original intention to make Kung-Pow chicken. After cooking the chicken with onions, carrots, chilli, ginger with oyster sauce and dark soy sauce, the taste turns out to be rather similar to Kung-Pow chicken. (On 1 July 2009, CX discovered the secrets(part of) of Kung Pow chicken)Kartofeln Salat (Potato salad)

This is a dish I copied from my mum after she made it for me once. Simple, easy, able to eat on the go and delicious. I added bacons to give it an extra oomph. Yi han the 90% vegetarian is tried to find a non-meat substitute to beat my potato salad.

Chilli con carne

I decided to do a chilli con carne after seeing Yi han did it on one of the dinners. Really simple but totally rocks. I just did another one today.



Other dishes I have made here and probably worth a mention:
  1. Bak Kut Teh - I brought the spice pack here but sadly something is still missing, maybe its the you-tiao, haha.
  2. Crepes - Learnt it from Xiuqing and her french friend. (Note: never eat more than 3 crepes at once, you will wanna puke after that)
  3. Sambal fish - Chiong version of BBQ sambal Stingray. There are no stingrays here, so I used wild salmon instead.
  4. Chicken rice - Without pandan leaves, its just not fragrant enough.
  5. Baked beans stew - Scrambled eggs + grilled sausages, put it all into the baked beans and pour them over your rice = a yummy meal.

0 comments: