Sunday, July 1, 2007

NS 40

More than a year has passed since I ORDed from SAF. In celebration of this memorable day, Sunday Times have a special edition for NS 40 which I think was rather interesting to read. Serving more than 2 years NS, I have my own fair share of unforgettable encounters. Esp so since I spent close to 1.5yrs as a tainee. Recruit, private, corporal, 3rd sergeant, officer cadet, 2nd LT; I've been through all.

My Longest course:
I would say a tie between the Tank Commander Course(TCC) and the Tank Officer Commander Course(TOCC). The former lasted about 21 weeks and the latter was probably a tad longer.

My shortest course:
Again a tie between Basic Military Training(BMT), Basic Section Leader Course(BSLC SISPEC) and OCS Service Term 2. All three lasted about 8 weeks but as u can see the diffculty levels are vastly different.

My 'shiong-est' out field:
It just have to be the one in OCS Alpha wing's Patrol cum Ex Spade. First we were silently activated back, meaning sms u and report back within 4 hrs. Then with this demoralised feeling we were sent to P.Tekong for a week long in rain. That really stretched me to the limit, battling 'trench foot', heat rash plus all the fighting and digging.

My most tiring training:
That would be the one when I was a corporal training during TCC overseas training in taiwan. Yes the base where the fighter jet crashed. Last phase of training involves a 4 day battle course and out of these 4 days I've only slept for about 3-4 hrs. Returning to camp at 6pm, servicing the tanks til 8pm and cleaning the weapons til 5.30am, send in the arms, nap til 6am, go for b'fast and draw arms at 6.15, back to tank; for 4 days. People will try sleeping at any opportunity. I've tried sleeping while driving my tank on a straight road, while the tank is stationary, literally every opportunity. Last day we were saved when the instructors wash the tank for us becoz of water shortage(trainees tend to waste water) and course warrant couldn't stand to see us dozing off and let us sleep at midnight.

My most fun course:
That would be the Company Tactics Course(CTC), firstly all trainees are of rank 2LT to Cpt, instructors are min Maj and treat us with much respect. Trainees dun play rank amongst ourselves and as NSF there was no need for me to work so hard, slack a bit pass can liao. Anyway the real fun part comes when we're always in air-con rooms. The only outfield was just walk the ground and we're equipped with ice box with soft drinks, field chairs and a tonner for each syndicate of abt 20 people. Nice! Did I mention the stay out part and the computer simulation we fought which was a bit like fighting red alert.

My most memorable:
I must say the pride and joy during commissioning parade is unrivalled. In precise drill steps and smart No.1 uniforms, this is the 3rd best parade in the SAF after NDP and SAF Day. And what's more I was a contingent commander who holds a ceremonial sword instead of the drill rifles. This is a parade made to elude awe and prestige. 'Go run around the parade square, u swine!'

0 comments: